By Rob Turner, Rob Turner Fitness
It goes without saying that every bride wants to look and feel her best for the wedding day. As a bride, you desire to hear the words breath-taking, stunning, amazing, and several others that capture your dynamic presence coming down the aisle. With your magical day soon approaching, don’t stress yourself out worrying about how you’re going to make heads turn in your gown. All you have to do is be smart and grab a hold of the two keys to winning the weight loss battle-exercise and nutrition. What you put into your body is more important than you think. Many people spend countless hours in the gym in hopes of trimming the extra pounds away, only to see their efforts fail due to the fact that they are maintaining a non-cohesive diet. You can’t curl a 5 pound weight in one hand and hold a Twinky in the other. 75% of the weight loss battle depends on what you ingest, which means that the majority of the hard work is spent outside of the gym. Burning 500 calories in the gym means nothing if you’re going to turn around and eat 1000 calories a few hours later. I recommend and encourage you to support your physical efforts with effective eating.
I want to give you five tips for effective eating that will support your quest for a new body for your magical day. I call this “The Five P’s”.
- Purge – If were to open your fridge, what would I see? Would I see sticks and tubs of butter or cream cheese, a multitude of unhealthy condiments and dips, fatty dressings, processed meats, soda, and other sugary beverages? If I was to look in the freezer, would I see containers of ice cream, frozen novelties, frozen pizzas and dinners? Would I see a plethora of snacks like cookies, crackers, chips, and candy in your pantry?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, then it’s time to purge your kitchen. Yes, remove all the unhealthy items that have set you back long enough. So say good-bye to the ladies – Little Debbie, Mrs. Butterworth, Betty Crocker, Sara Lee, Mrs. Smith, and Marie Callender. You must create an environment that will cause you to triumph in your venture toward a slim, lean, and slender body.
- Purchase – Now that we have removed the bad, it’s time to restock your kitchen by purchasing healthier choices that will kick start your weight loss journey. Fill your fridge with fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, water, yogurt, and alternative condiments like salsa. Stock your pantry with brown rice, nuts, and condiments like honey. This is your opportunity to be creative and make grocery shopping and cooking fun and inventive; not just for you, but for the entire family.
- Portion – Listen, just because you are eating right, does not mean you can just consume massive amounts in one sitting. It is vital to have discipline by using proper portion control. There are many informative sites that can provide proper portion sizes for various foods. Choosemyplate.gov is a great place to start. Try this portion tip: A deck of cards or the palm of your hand is roughly the correct portion size for your lean meats, chicken, and fish.
- Prepare – One important strategy I share with many clients is to prepare your meals ahead of time. Prepare your meals for the next day the night before. This will be a set up for success as you will not need to worry about where your next meal will come from and prevent you from going to the vending machine at work. Plus, it prevents you from skipping or missing meals. Your meals are readily available so that you can eat on schedule. You will be eating towards your new body. That sounds exciting!
- Practice – Hey, practice makes perfect, right? This is your new routine. This is your new lifestyle. Go for your goal and don’t deviate from it. No matter what people may say or do to distract you, stay diligent, determined, and disciplined.
The Weight Is Over!!!
Rob Turner is a personal trainer, personal transformation coach, and owner of Rob Turner Fitness (RTF) located in Waldorf, MD. Rob is passionate about impacting the life of every individual. RTF provides fitness training services, nutritional guidance, recommendations, and practical strategies to all individuals seeking to transform their body and their lifestyle. RTF specializes in offering personalized body altering workouts without the personal training price. Go to www.robturnerfitness.com for more information.