A great DJ is key to a great reception. You want to make sure your DJ can get the party started – and keep it going. You also want someone who is personable and comfortable serving as the emcee of your event.
Before you hire someone, ask prospective DJs these questions:
- How much experience do they have?
- How many weddings do they do in a day? In a weekend?
- Can you talk directly with your DJ before signing a contract? (This is especially important if the business has several DJs on staff.)
- Do they specialize in weddings?
- Are they members of any organizations (Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, DJ associations, etc.)?
- Do they use contracts?
- Do they use records, tapes, CDs, or MP3s?
- Will they work as emcee of the event? Ask how they usually perform.
- Can you see them perform?
- How do they dress?
- Do they have backup equipment and personnel?
- Are they insured?
- Ask about their equipment and music selection. How many CDs/songs do they have?
- Do they have the songs you want for your first dance and other special dances?
- Will they take requests?
- Can you ask that certain songs not be played?
- How will they handle a lull in the reception?
- Can they play music for your cocktail hour too?
- Have they worked at your wedding venue?
- What kind of lighting and special effects do they use?
- Ask for references from recent weddings.
Find Southern Maryland wedding DJs in our Vendor Directory!