Dear Bride to be, For better or worse, your wedding cake will be remembered for its taste and style. Traditional white on white, tiered wedding cakes are still popular, but you can let your imagination run wild with the many types of flavors and designs available to you. Your wedding cake should be as individual as you are and designed to match your own personal style and taste. Today’s wedding cakes are also designed to reflect the wedding décor and color scheme. My goal is to personally assist you in the planning and preparation of the wedding cake you’ve been dreaming about since you were a little girl. First, I like to hold a free, private consultation with the bride where she is able to sample the various flavors of cakes, fillings, and icings that she has requested in advance. During the consultation, I am able to determine the style of cake that the bride is interested in, as well as the number of servings required. Generally, she will bring a picture from a magazine or website that portrays a particular style of cake. If a bride doesn’t have a picture, I have available many current wedding cake magazines and books from which she can get ideas. When it comes to decorations for the cake, today’s brides have endless choices. I specialize in gum paste floral decorations, but fresh flowers are also a very popular choice. Fresh flowers are a less expensive alternative than gum paste flowers because they are less labor intensive, but gum paste flowers last forever. The traditional plastic figurine toppers popular years ago have been replaced by fresh or silk flower arrangements, Swarovski crystal figurines, and bejeweled monograms. Contact me on 301-373-3405 for a free personal consultation. My credentials include:
- Advanced training from nationally and internationally recognized cake artists such as Earlene Moore and Nicholas Lodge
- Specialized training in fondant and gum paste floral decorations
- Member of the International Cake Exploration Society (ICES)
- Member of Ladycakes Place—a national discussion forum for cake artists
- I keep abreast of current trends in the industry of cake decorating by subscribing to leading magazines featuring wedding cakes such as American Cake Decorating; Wedding Cakes: A Design Source (published in the UK); and ICES magazines.I also offer to brides the Knocke Shoppe Illuminated Cakes Display System. Visit http://www.theknockshoppe.com/ if you are interested in a unique and elegant method to display your wedding cake. Please visit my website (www.cakesbymaureen.com) to view pictures of my most recent cakes.